QM Environmental is Canada’s premier industrial services company. We offer a full suite of environmental contracting services, including environmental construction, such as landfills and related facilities, earthen dam raises, slope and waterway restoration etc. remediation, hazardous materials abatement, emergency response and training.
QM is currently seeking a Site Superintendent to join our team for the delivery of a multi-year major project in Gunnar, SK.
Location: Gunnar Mine Site, SK
The Site Superintendent is responsible for the field level execution of projects, including but not limited to supervising all on-site activities, managing field operations staff, overseeing sub-contractors, etcetera.
Superintendents are the lead role on site, as such that they are responsible for executing all facets of their work plan safely and efficiently.
Health and Safety
- Must have full understanding and working knowledge of the QM’s Health, Safety and Environmental Policies and Procedures, ensuring all site personnel adhere to them at all times
- Be aware and willing to ensure safety compliance by all personnel on site.
- Document and Notify the General Superintendent of any unsafe or potentially hazardous situations on site
- Ensure the appropriate safety equipment is available and worn by site personnel at all times
- Develop/contribute to daily operational and project plans, and participate in deliverable level planning with Project Manager
- Identify issues that arise and lead the discussion in their resolution
- Provide regular status updates to General Superintendent and Project Manager
- Obtain stakeholder input/acceptance for project deliverables
- Establish site control, including preparation of safe zones, lay down areas, stockpile areas, hot zones, etcetera
- Coordinate the physical activities of employees, subcontractors, and suppliers for all site activities
- Perform regular physical job site walkthroughs to observe safety and quality
- Ensure all staff maintain focus and adhere to the schedule & design while keeping safety a priority
- Ensure all site resource (labor, machinery, materials, sub-contractors etcetera) are effectively utilized and monitored in order to achieve timely completion of projects
- Ensure all tools and equipment used onsite are taken care of and put away. Any damage or defects are to be reported to the General Superintendent
- Prior to the commencement of site works, gain an understanding of the relevant project specifications and drawings
- On an ongoing basis, monitor all works against specifications to ensure the continuing quality and accuracy of work performed
- Identify, develop a plan, and correct any defects, mistakes, errors, contamination or variations.
- Ensure all the applicable quality checklists are properly completed
- Ensure that relevant information is communicated to direct reports/sub-contractors enabling them to effectively carry out their functions
- Be willing to receive specialized training in order to accomplish skilled tasks
- Ensure that all employs have, or receive the proper training for their assigned tasks
Other duties as required.
- Grade 12 or equivalent work experience
- Company and client mandated safety training
- Post-secondary education in related field is an asset
- Valid driver’s license mandatory
- Previous training in First Aid, PPE etcetera. is considered an asset but internal training and orientation will be provided as required.
- Specialized training, for example, Fall Protection, Flagging etcetera is an asset but will be provided as required.
- Supervisory experience in remediation or civil construction
- Construction industry experience, in civil earthworks/groundworks, landscaping and/or environmental remediation projects
- Experience as a general laborer or Heavy Equipment Operator is an asset
- Applicable safety and employment regulations, policies, procedures
- Computer literate
- Capable of managing required paperwork
- Knowledge of specifications and blueprints
- Good understanding of codes, laws and other requirements
- Knowledge of quality standards
- Communicates effectively with others and maintains favorable employee and client relations
- Ability to determine, by inspection, that specification and requirements are met
- Ability to conduct group meetings and reconcile conflicting views
- Ability to delegate and supervise the work of others
- Ability to motivate workers as needed
- Ability to understand and efficiently carry out instructions
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with clients, project managers, subordinates, professionals, subcontractors and suppliers
- Ability to keep records and to prepare work and time reports
- Ability to use computers and is efficient with Microsoft excel
- Ability to adapt to quickly to change
- Majority of time will be spent on job site; out of town travel may be required
- Hours can be long, 12 hours per day based on project and client requirements.
- Use of specialized PPE may be required after appropriate training
- Work is outdoors so appropriate clothing will be required
- Both office and outdoor activities related to typical construction site work environments. Ability to work in inclement weather conditions and travel are required.
- 12 hour shifts (7am to 7pm) on a rotation of 14 days ON and 14 days OFF
QM offers competitive wages, plus an excellent benefits and matching RRSP plan.
QM Environmental values diversity. We participate in Employment Equity and have a zero tolerance towards racism. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process as well as part of employment with QM Environmental.