$24.33 an hour
Medical Laboratory Assistant – Regular Full Time
Squamish General Hospital, LM Labs
Within the context of a client and family centered care model and in accordance with established vision and values of the organization, this position works under general supervision to perform duties related to blood collection and specimen processing. Receives patients for testing, collects blood specimens using venipuncture and skin puncture, prepares specimens for analysis and forwards to referral laboratories or other areas. Performs routine electrocardiogram testing where required. Utilizes the Laboratory Information systems and related database system/s to enter data, generate blood collection lists and reports, etc. Answers telephones, files and distributes materials as required.
What you’ll do
- Receives patients and examines test requisition/s to confirm patient demographics are current, checks for physician’s signature, enters demographics into Laboratory Information system, prints label indicating patient information such as referring physician, name and test and affixes to requisition. Explains procedure for the collection of laboratory specimens and responds to routine inquiries.
- Greets, identifies and prepares patients for specified tests; collects blood specimens by performing venipuncture and skin puncture in accordance with established procedures, labels specimens with required information and ensures safe disposal of sharps and other material as required. Performs routine lab tests such as urine tests for protein and/or glucose using colour coded dip sticks.
- Prepares specimens such as blood and urine for analysis. Checks specimen identification against requisition, identifies whether additional tests or special testing is required. Separates serum or plasma from cells by centrifugation and prepares blood films by spreading blood specimen onto slide. Forwards to Technologist for analysis.
- Receives specimens, spins down and splits specimens into different containers, sorts and labels for testing, logs data into a computerized database and batches specimens in order of established priorities for distribution to applicable area. Stores analyzed specimens and discards outdated specimens as directed in accordance with established facility procedures.
- Arranges for the shipment of specimens to referral laboratories. Completes forms, packages specimens in accordance with safe procedures and regulations outlined in the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System and the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act. Contacts courier, air transport or alternate carriers.
What you bring
- Grade 12
- Successful completion of a recognized Lab Assistant training program.
- One year’s recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Ability to type 25 wpm.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Regular Full Time
38140 Behrner Drive, Squamish, BC
Applications will be accepted until position has been filled
Working schedule will be as per operational requirements
What we do
Lower Mainland Laboratories is a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), responsible for providing public laboratory services throughout the Lower Mainland of British Columbia. Hospital-based laboratories in Vancouver Coastal Health, Fraser Health, Providence Health Care and PHSA provide both inpatient and outpatient laboratory services. These specialty laboratories provide a variety of reference and specialized testing.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Patients first • Best value • Results matter • Excellence through knowledge • Open to possibilities.
The PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.