District of Squamish
$23.62 an hour
External Job Posting
Status: Casual/ On Call
Work Area: Facilities
Posting Date: January 9, 2020
Closing Date: December 31, 2020
Under the general supervision of the Designated Department Supervisor, performs a variety of cleaning and
maintenance functions in Municipal Buildings, to ensure a high standard of cleanliness and sanitation. Overall
objective is to provide a clean, safe, secure, and pleasant environment for those occupying and visiting the
• Contributes to the success of our team and creation of our community, by fostering the District of
Squamish corporate values in their work: thinking beyond today, working together, acting with courage
and enthusiasm, doing the right thing, and striving to do better every day.
- Follows the District of Squamish’s Customer Service Guidelines to ensure the Delivery of Outstanding
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs a variety of cleaning duties in accordance with established practices and procedures conforming
- Performs a variety of minor building maintenance and repairs within established practices, procedures and
- Stores and utilizes maintenance supplies following WorkSafe BC & Fire regulations and reports
- Reports building repairs required to supervisor.
- Reports safety hazards to the supervisor.
- Responsible for securing the building including setting the alarm when appropriate.
- Sets up for functions, events, and programs as assigned.
- Orients new Janitors to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Thorough knowledge of effective janitorial and maintenance methods, procedures, materials, and
- Ability to work independently, coordinate tasks, and change work priorities to ensure completion of daily,
weekly, monthly and annual assignments, without disrupting or endangering public or employee access to
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and precautionary measures related to building maintenance
safety standards and janitorial work.
- Knowledge of maintenance supply storage and care, following WorkSafe BC regulations.
- Knowledge of building personnel and procedures.
- Strength and ability to climb ladders, lift, push, or carry objects.
- Ability to read and comprehend the English language to closely follow written procedures, guidelines, and
regulations (e.g., Health & Safety Program, product labels, WHMIS, WorkSafe BC Industrial Health & Safety
- Ability to write short notes or memos to notify supervisor of supplies required, making recommendations,
or giving a comprehensive statement of fact.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with employees and public in the building.
- Good interpersonal and communications skill and the ability to deal with people in a professional manner.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently unsupervised in a position of trust.
- Will be eligible for casual janitor shifts at other District facilities per the District of Squamish Collective
REQUIRED TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Current First Aid (WCB level 1)
- Valid BC Drivers License “Class V”
- An original Police Information Check, including Vulnerable Sector Check issued within the past 6 months
that is satisfactory to the employer will be required before starting in the position.
• 6 months experience in Janitorial and building maintenance
• An equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Hours of Work: Shifts may range between 5:00am and 1:00am, Monday to Sunday
Casual/ on call
Salary: $23.62 per hour
This is a Union position within the Collective Agreement of CUPE Local 2269 and the District of Squamish.
Direct Your Application (Quoting Competition # 20-06) To:
District of Squamish
37955 Second Avenue, P.O. Box 310, Squamish, BC V8B 0A3 E-mail: email@example.com