QM Environmental is Canada’s premier industrial services company. We offer a full suite of environmental contracting services, including environmental construction, such a landfills and related facilities, earthen dam raises, slope and waterway restoration etc. remediation, hazardous materials abatement, emergency response and training.
This is a seasonal (summer) position.
An EHS Coordinator is responsible for the following duties:
- Coordinates and implements all aspects of the QM LP HSE program as it applies to Gunnar Mine site specific activities in accordance with the National HSE program requirements, project specific/client specific requirements, provincial and other regulatory agencies
- Works cooperatively with all project team members on site, HSE team members and site supervision / project management team to promote an HSE culture
- Creates continuous improvements and is pro-active in HSE management cycle
- Ensures health and safety is considered in the performance of all activities; adapting to various work environments and business activity
- Communicates all-important HSE related matters immediately to the Head of Health & Safety
- Conduct necessary project specific EHS training
- Responsible for all safety related communications either within the project or to the client.
- Plan and conduct Daily Tool box and weekly meetings
- Maintenance of SiteDocs digital EHS program
- Conduct all incident investigations, reporting and follow up including communications regarding the incidents with respective parties (employee, client, HR). This will include; property damages, spills, injuries and significant near misses as described in QM NSP.
- Plan and conduct site orientations for all QM LP staff and sub-contracting staff as per NSP guidelines update and train existing employees as required
- Prepare daily permits for all tasks in the field as required
- Responsible for all EHS document control ensuring QM and subcontractor personnel confidentiality is maintained and properly organized
- Understand and implement QMLP’s Corporate Health and Safety Program, Policy and Procedures
- Ensure health and safety is considered in the performance of all activities
- Ensure HSE compliance with applicable Federal, Provincial Acts, Codes and Regulations
- Make recommendations on new modern HSE program protocols, Safe Work Procedures etc.
- Oversee the compilation, updating and distribution of health and safety related documentation as required at the project site
- Complete regular site inspections and audits assigned as per internal protocol and established schedules
- Immediately report all workplace injuries to the Head of Health & Safety
- Complete all duties as assigned by the Head of Health & Safety in a timely fashion
- Manage the daily health and safety activities related to administration and field work
- Pro-actively share HSE information to enhance and maintain safety awareness
- Coordinate/participate in various health and safety meetings, Corporate HSE meetings, conferences and other activities
- Assist the Head of Health & Safety to coordinate Early and Safe Return to Work, WCB / WSIB case management as required
- Present health and safety concerns to management and operations and assist in the problem solving process
- Other activities or responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Health & Safety
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline preferred or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience
- Knowledge of construction, manufacturing and transportation industry is beneficial
- NCSO designation or equivalent preferred or ability to acquire within established timelines; other related designations desirable
- Level I Certification in Occupational Health & Safety
- Valid driver’s license with clean driver’s abstract a must
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Must be an adept communicator, willing to share experience and knowledge, capable of mentoring and leading supervisors and workers to EHS due diligence using a collaborative and flexible approach
- Minimum of good understanding of Federal and provincial regulations and other regulatory authorities
- Previous experience in WCB/WSIB applications, ESRTW program implementation
- Comprehensive heavy construction experience a must, previous experience in heavy equipment activity related to construction or oil and gas activity preferred
- Work in unionized and non-unionized work environments
- In-depth knowledge of various training applications such as BBS, risk-based safety, audit protocol, thorough incident investigation protocols, in-depth corporate auditing experience, knowledge of hazmat/hazop and related environmental protocols preferred
- Knowledge of EHS related legislation, provincial, federal and others as applicable
- Ability to develop and demonstrate leadership skills
- Ability to travel & work out of town
- Excellent team player, cooperative approach at all levels, strong relationship building capabilities and ability to treat peers at all levels with respect
- Good communication and motivation skills
- Strong written and communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Excellent team building, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Good group presentation skills (i.e. orientation training, group instruction, orientations and EHS seminars)
- Good problem solving capabilities
- Motivated and driven self-starter able to work with minimal supervision
- Effective interpersonal relations
12 hour shifts (7am to 7pm) on a rotation of 14 days ON and 14 days OFF
Work is at a remote project site. Both office and outdoor activities related to typical construction site work environments. Ability to work in inclement weather conditions and travel are required.
Committed to both employment equity and providing barrier-free and accessible employment, QM Environmental welcomes and encourages applications from Indigenous Peoples, people with disabilities, and women. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process as well as part of employment with QM Environmental.