Old Post Lodge
Pickle Lake, ON
$3,500 a month
Old Post Lodge is a family run Wilderness Lodge, located on an old Hudson Bay trading post. Established over 34 years ago by the Grace family, Old Post Lodge is a seasonal tourism lodge that focuses on the customer experience while priding itself on being an unforgettable place to both live and work.
Old Post Lodge is a seasonal fly in wilderness fishing resort and we are hiring a head chef for the 2020 season. Opportunity for contract renewal is available. The season runs mid May until late September. www.oldpost.com
Old Post Lodge is entering its 34th season and because of our vast experience, we are very adaptable and aware chefs have a wide spectrum of workplace preferences. Ideally, we are looking for a candidate who will thrive independently but also contribute creatively towards menu development throughout the season. Alternately, we have a structured set menu available (for both guests and staff) that the chef may use initially during training or all season if a more routine workplace is preferable. This menu can be updated during the season in cooperation with the chef and management, if that is the preference.
Summary; a full-time seasonal contract; cooking breakfast and dinner for 15 – 45 guests daily; preparing healthy lunch and dinner for approximately 14 staff daily.
· Salary is $3500.00 per 30 day period plus a guaranteed $1000 in gratuities. Wages are paid via direct deposit monthly.
· Travel expenses are covered.
· Cost of accommodation and food while at camp are fully covered and are no cost to you. Chef has there own private quarters close to the kitchen. With a bed, desk, mini fridge and electricity. Wi-fi is available, and is stronger in certain areas of the camp, but reaches the cabins with a usable signal. You are responsible for cleaning and maintaining your own cabin.
· Ordering all food and supplies for a weekly delivery. Communicate with management team regarding bookings to ensure proper food quantities are ordered and prepped. Number of guests will vary between 15 to 45 guests maximum. Number of staff is about 14.
· Preparing breakfast for guests every day. Breakfast is one set menu item daily, is simple and is cooked to order and hot; examples may include; French toast with apples; pancakes with sausage; fried eggs with ham and hash browns.
· Preparing dinner for guests everyday. Dinner is one meal daily (main & dessert) for all guests, rotating through a weekly menu. It is a simple menu and cooked and plated to order. Examples may include; lasagne with side ceaser salad and berry crumble with ice cream; bone on pork chop with herb butter, wild rice, carrots and gravy, and carrot cake with cream cheese icing. There is opportunity for new ideas and specials. You will have service staff and someone to assist in plating during service. You will have help with clean up at after dinner service.
· Prepare lunch and dinner for staff. Lunch can be prepared ahead and available for staff to grab and go at their leisure. Dinner is hot and can be buffet style. Staff dinner may also be a weekly meal rotation, but there is opportunity for new ideas/specials.
Details and requirements:
· Must maintain high level of safety and sanitation in workspace and when food handling. Must have Food Handlers certificate, and maintain occupational health and safety standards.
· Must maintain kitchen inventory of equipment, food, and common kitchen related resources.
· Must communicate with front of house staff to ensure a successful service, and must be adaptable to accommodate food restrictions, preferences and allergies from guests and staff.
· Must be prepared to bake bread, pastries and desserts, brine and cook meat and vegetables using various cooking techniques available; oven, grill, outside BBQ, open fire pit. Many opportunities for creativity. Guests eat a lunch of fish prepared by their guides while they are out for the day, so fish is not cooked for dinner.
· Must attend any scheduled meetings, and maintain expected food costs.
· Must be able to tolerate pressure and work efficiently during busy times; have excellent self -motivation; and have excellent time management skills.
· Must be enthusiastic, hard working, considerate, patient and highly professional.
· In order to maintain our high standard of comfort, safety and efficiency among our staff and guests we enforce a zero tolerance policy for inappropriate workplace behaviour.
Industry: Restaurants, Travel and Leisure
- Discounted/free food
Contract length: 3.5 months
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $3,500.00 /month
- Chef: 1 year (Preferred)
- Prepare, season and cook food as directed, meeting dietary requirements where required
- Follow recipes and presentation specifications
- Operate standard kitchen equipment safely and efficiently
- Clean and maintain station in practicing good safety and sanitation
- Oversee kitchen operations
- Maintain inventory and record of food, supplies and equipment
- Adhere to all sanitation and food production codes