Village of Lions Bay
Lions Bay, BC
$29.74 an hour
Village of Lions Bay
Bylaw Enforcement Officer
The Village of Lions Bay, located in the beautiful Sea to Sky Corridor 10 minutes north of Horseshoe Bay, is inviting applications for a part-time seasonal position of Bylaw Enforcement Officer. The Bylaw Enforcement Officer will provide bylaw enforcement services to the community generally on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and holiday afternoons/evenings, totaling approximately 14 to 29 hours per week. The schedule and hours may vary from time-to-time, such as in cases of long weekends.
The Bylaw Enforcement Officer will be responsible for the following:
- Ensure compliance with Village Bylaws
- Enforce Village Bylaws when dealing with issues including but not strictly limited to parking, beach patrols, animal control, illegal dumping, burning, outdoor watering, land use, etc.
- Respond to public inquiries and complaints regarding bylaw enforcement matters generally
- Identify unsightly premises and nuisances for follow-up with superior
- Undertake other related duties as may be required from time to time
- Must possess a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s Licence and supply own vehicle
- High school diploma, supplemented with Level 1 Bylaw Compliance, Enforcement and Investigating Skills Certificate (JIBC or equivalent)
- Preferred 3-5 years prior job related experience in a Local Government setting and a minimum of two years’ experience in enforcement work, or an equivalent combination of both training and experience
- Ability to deal with confrontations in a professional manner
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Innate sense of tact, discretion and sound judgement
- Well-developed report writing skills
- Ability to interpret maps and legal descriptions
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Ability to upload photos from a smart phone
This assignment will run from mid-May through mid-September, 2020. This is a union position requiring membership in CUPE, Local 389. The hourly rate of pay is $29.74 (2019 rates) plus 12% in lieu of benefits and mileage is reimbursed at a rate of $0.53/km. The successful candidate will be required to provide a Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
Please submit a covering letter, resume, references and drivers abstract by 4 p.m. on Friday, April 3, 2020 to:
Bylaw Enforcement Officer Recruiting
Attn: Karla Duarte, Municipal Coordinator
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.